The companyOur client is a professional Pharmaceutical organisation, based in Zuid-Holland Netherlands. The company is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases.
In the organization entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to the company and the team.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is working on the discovery and early development of novel vaccines for bacterial infectious diseases. It strives to address unmet medical needs, such as bacteremia (sepsis), meningitis, and respiratory tract and nosocomial infections. Projects at the Bacterial Vaccines department are primarily structured on scientific and technical collaboration with external biotechnology partners (governmental and industrial) that are innovative leaders in their field. This working process includes ‘state of the art’ vaccine discovery, with subsequent in vivo evaluation of these vaccine candidates in animal models for immunogenicity and/or efficacy. In addition, manufacturing processes are optimized and established, and the resulting clinical trial material is evaluated in human clinical studies.
Role descriptionThe Bacterial Vaccine department is seeking a talented Associate Scientist (M.Sc. or B.Sc. with equivalent experience) to join the Biochemical assays and Antigenicity Screening group. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and highly motivated team driving the characterization/ and evaluation of large molecule entities that are being developed in different vaccine programmes. During your work, you will interact with various Bacterial Vaccines teams, and with other support departments. You will be expected to perform laboratory work in person and help contract research organizations (CROs) plan and execute their assignments.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is strengthening its biochemical assay capabilities, which are centered mainly on carbohydrate, protein and glycoprotein antigens. This position has therefore a strong focus on biochemical and immunological expertise. Apart from Bacterial Vaccines own resources, access to complementary analytical facilities is also possible.
Responsibilities- Chemical modification of bacterial surface molecules
- Analysis of antigen-antibody interactions
- Analyze carbohydrate, protein-, or glycoconjugate-based antigens.
- Know, implement and improve established tests for carbohydrates, proteins, glycoconjugates, and particle-based vaccines.
- Develop new biochemical methods (evaluate LoD, LoQ, accuracy, etc.)
- With help from product development specialists, design and implement biochemical assays for in-process control (IPC), product characterization, and product release.
- Support CROs to plan, execute, document, and review their work.
Requirements- M.Sc. or B.Sc. with equivalent experience
- Biochemical assay specialist
- Minimal 2-4 years of professional experience (experience in a biotech industry setting is a must).
- Experience with Biochemical analysis of carbohydrates, proteins and glycoconjugates.
- Knowledge of protein purification methods is desirable
- Knowledge of biochemical literature, with emphasis on carbohydrate antigens, biochemical assay development, optimization and troubleshooting.
- Very good knowledge on bacterial cell surface molecules
- Hands on expertise on biochemical analysis of large bio molecules with focus on antigen-antibody interactions
- Experience and knowledge on chemical modification of microbial surface components
- Significant knowledge on purification and enrichment of large biochemical entities
- Must have: Hands on experience on HPLC, colorimetric assays, ELISA, Cell based assays, labeling of biomolecules.
- Nice to have: SPR/ Biolayer interferometry/Mesoscale thermophoresis/ITC based screening of biochemical interactions etc.
Other informationThis role is intended to be a hands-on lab-based job with plenty opportunity to learn and develop new skill sets.
- A problem solver who communicates clearly and efficiently;
- A real team player
- Able to take leadership and manage and monitor work contracted to CROs
- Good with organizing data efficiently and with data security in mind
Are you interested and do want to apply for this role, please fill out your application via the apply button below and contact Hélène de Vries.